Job Type: Full-time
Title: Research Scientist
Salary: Pay is salaried, commensurate with experience and local rates.
SRF is a non-profit organisation globally recognized for its dedication to transforming the way the world researches and treats aging (www.sens.org). We are located in Mountain View, California, in the heart of bay area biotech hub and several premier academic institutions.
Mitochondria are dynamic organelles vital to several functions within the cell. Decline in mitochondrial function is a distinctive feature in several age-related pathologies including sarcopenia, metabolic dysfunctions, and neurodegenerative disorders. It has been observed that, with age, mutations in the mitochondrial DNA accumulate at an order of magnitude higher compared to the nucleus. The Boominathan lab at SENS Research Foundation is developing gene therapies to functionally express the 13 protein coding genes in the mitochondrial genome from the nucleus (also called allotopic expression). We are also interested in modulating the mitochondrial DNA for sustained organelle fitness and function over time. Using disease cell lines and in vivo models, our lab integrates molecular biology, biochemistry, and computational tools in achieving these goals. For project details please see https://sens.org/research/intramural/allotopic-expression.
This research position is within a collaborative and dynamic group developing transitional therapies for mitochondrial dysfunctions.
- Plan, design and execute all aspects of preclinical research
- Analyze data, prepare reports, and present results regularly in internal and external settings
- Mentor junior staff and maintain day to day functions in the laboratory
Technical Skills and Qualifications:
- The ideal candidate should have a Ph.D. in biology/ biochemistry/ biomedical/ bioengineering or a related field
- Proven experience in cell and molecular biology, gene therapy / DNA editing, working with rodent models, and assay development
- Familiarity in designing large DNA constructs (BAC cloning, artificial chromosomes) is highly desired
Experience with biomolecule delivery using vesicles, exosomes, nanoparticles, or similar technologies is highly desired
- Exposure to mitochondria biology is a plus but not required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with the ability to thrive in a goal-driven team environment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to plan and document your work diligently
- Positive spirit, a real drive for science
- Capacity to adapt as priorities and requirements change
We offer an excellent benefits package including paid vacation and sick leave, fully covered health and dental insurance (inclusive of dependents), an FSA program, and a company-matched 401(k) plan, all of which is offered after a 90-day introductory period. SENS Research Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We may sponsor a visa for international applicants.
The position is available now and will be filled as soon as qualified candidates are found. Salary is commensurate with job experience.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a current CV and a letter expressing your interest to [email protected].