Job Type: Full-time
Title: Laboratory Manager
Salary: Pay is salaried, commensurate with experience and local rates; typical range $55,000-60,000/year.
SENS Research Foundation (SRF) is hiring a Laboratory Manager for our research center located in Mountain View, Silicon Valley, CA. SRF is a non-profit organisation globally recognized for its dedication to transforming the way the world researches and treats aging (www.sens.org)
The research center hosts the SRF internal research and affiliated initiatives including SRF spinout Underdog Pharmaceuticals. Our ca. 20 lab members include postdoctoral specialists as well as student researchers. The Laboratory Manager will provide daily support, supervision and coordination at every level to ensure the smooth running of all laboratory research.
The ideal candidate is a person that loves an orderly lab and rises to the challenge of changing requirements of cutting edge science. You need to be able to work independently and set your own tasks and priorities but communicate consistently and effectively with all laboratory personnel, nurturing lab cohesiveness and team spirit.
- organize and oversee the daily operation of the research lab
- inventory management, ordering and purchasing of research consumables (including effective negotiations with suppliers and service providers)
- conduct regular maintenance of equipment
- oversee general adherence to good animal husbandry (rodents)
- mentor and supervise new staff in standard laboratory procedures
- maintain a clean, safe laboratory and hold people accountable
- regular and project-specific reporting to the VP (research)
- develop and implement appropriate administrative policies and procedures for the laboratory
- as required by research leads from time to time: assist with experiments, data entry and analysis
- a first or advanced degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or related field
- 5+ years’ laboratory experience
- experience in research-related supervision, training or teaching
- good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- advanced familiarity with MS Excel and similar applications
- ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports
- proven ability to organise cost-effective procurement
- Experience running and maintaining HPLCs
- Experience in running automated microscopy
- Experience with animal (rodent) husbandry
- Experience with flow cytometry
- Experience in running cell culture
- Experience with RT-PCR
- Experience with lab procurement software (e.g. Quartzy)
- Knowledge of aging biology
We offer an excellent benefits package including paid vacation and sick leave, fully covered health and dental insurance (inclusive of dependents), an FSA program, and a company matched 401(k) plan, all of which is offered after a 90-day introductory period. SENS Research Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We may sponsor a visa for international applicants.
The position is available now and will be filled as soon as the qualified candidate is found.
Please submit your CV along with a Cover Letter to [email protected].
All employees are to follow COVID restrictions, which will lighten as our workplace is vaccinated. All employees are expected to wear PPE. Vaccinating is strongly encouraged.