Job Opportunity: Chief of Staff
SENS Research Foundation (SRF) is seeking a Chief of Staff to join our dynamic and motivated team in Mountain View, California. We are a small, non-profit research foundation working on curing the disabilities and diseases of old age. The Alliance programme delivers and co-ordinates SRF’s translational international research programme – in close collaboration with industrial partners – in the areas of regulatory science, biomanufacturing and drug development.
This position is an opportunity for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and diligent professional with outstanding interpersonal skills and a strong sense of initiative. The Chief of Staff, Alliances will report to the Director of Alliances, with ad hoc reporting to other senior members of SRF as required to perform the role.
The ideal candidate would have 10+ years in Research/Academic Programme Management and Administration, complemented by 5+ years in international and/or multi-disciplinary roles, and 1-3 years in Project Management to a PRINCE 2/ITIL standard in the non-profit, academic or scientific research space. We’d also prefer the candidate to have some prior experience with fundraising activities and basic accounting. A PhD is mandatory for this position. The candidate must be able to spend time at research sites as needed to perform the role.
- 10+ years in Research/Academic Programme Management and Administration
- 5+ years in international and/or multi-disciplinary roles
- 1-3 years in Project Management to a PRINCE 2/ITIL standard
- PhD in relevant discipline (mandatory)
- Prince 2 Foundation (mandatory)
- Prince 2 Practitioner (Current and valid accreditation) (preferred)
- ISO9001 and/or ISO13485 QMS Manager (mandatory)
- ISO9001 and/or ISO13485/GxP QMS Lead Auditor (preferred)
- Evidence of basic proficiency against recognized accounting standards e.g. partial CPA (US), CIMA (worldwide) and/or partial ACCA (UK/EU) (mandatory)
- Experience co-ordinating international multi-disciplinary biomedical research projects (mandatory)
- Bilingual English-French and working proficiency in German (mandatory) and Russian (preferred)
- Experience in academic administration in leading research institutions, including the United Kingdom (mandatory)
- Financial training – including experience in audit and budget management (mandatory)
- Experience in grant administration from internationally recognized biomedical research funders e.g. Wellcome Trust, EUFP7, NIH (mandatory)
- Project management experience in GLP R&D environments (mandatory)
- Quality management (ISO9001 and/or ISO13485 experience)
- Experience in co-ordinating international press queries, and preparing appropriate responses for multiple audiences (policy makers, research funders, public) (mandatory)
Essential Duties and Functions:
- Project manage Alliance Programme research portfolio in alignment with SRF 501(c)(3) audit requirements and biomedical research funder best practices e.g. NIH and Welcome Trust aligned processes and PRINCE2/ITIL as required;
- Co-ordinate Alliance Programme financial oversight and review for external programmes;
- Co-ordinate pre-clinical and clinical activities at research funding recipient organisations;
- Audit pre-clinical and clinical trial sites at research funding recipient organisations as required;
- Prepare Board/Scientific Advisory Board communications and packages;
- Be conversant in program work and organizational operations to interface effectively with staff, donors, Board Members, and partners;
- Help plan, coordinate, and support small, special events or projects.
SENS Research Foundation is proud to offer a competitive salary which includes fully covered health insurance, inclusive of dependents, an FSA program, and a company matched 401(k) plan offered after the 90-day introductory period. Salary is commensurate with experience.
SENS Research Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume (as a single PDF document in the format “Your Name – Chief of Staff, Alliances”) and two (2) writing or project charter samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 31st, 2018.